I by no means knew I’d be so enthusiastic about a raw carrot salad. Then again, I’m not sure I’ve ever had French carrot salad just before! Have you? Apparently French salads are ubiquitous in France and we’ve been missing out.
I’m typically a fan of big, bold taste, but French carrot salad is a delicate stability of sweet raw carrot, tangy lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard and herbs. This carrot salad is a lesson in restraint and tastes much more complicated than it is.
I discovered this carrot salad at French Market in Kansas City. The women behind the counter often have French accents, so you know the location is legit.
They offer you a range of pre-created salads and sandwiches, and I couldn’t resist the glowing orange carrot salad. Their edition contains chickpeas, which provide some protein and bulk.
I was genuinely surprised by how much I loved that fresh, crisp-tender, sweet-and-savory carrot salad, so right here we are. French carrot salad is a lovely side dish to offer at picnics, in packed lunches, with sandwiches, and so on.
French Carrot Salad Planning Suggestions
The carrots account for the predominant taste and texture in this recipe—so it issues how you put together them. French Market’s carrot salad features tiny, brief slivers of carrot that readily soak up dressing, but are difficult to achieve at residence. David Lebovitz says they’re using a specialty gadget referred to as “Moulinex hachoir a legumes.”
I managed to achieve a equivalent texture by making use of my julienne peeler (affiliate hyperlink) in short strokes, but it was tedious function. You could also run the carrots via your foods processor with the grating attachment or grate the carrots on the huge holes of your box grater. The best option on your spiralizer may well work, too—please report back if you try out!
Don’t anxiety about how you grate your carrots. I think you’ll enjoy this salad no matter what!
Please let me know how you like this carrot salad in the feedback. Hunting for more carrot salads? Don’t miss this roasted and raw carrot salad with avocado, masala-spiced lentil salad with roasted carrots, and peanut slaw with soba noodles.
French Carrot Salad
- Writer: Cookie and Kate
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Complete Time: 20 minutes (plus 20-minute marinating time)
- Yield: four servings 1 x
- Class: Salad
- Approach: Raw
- Cuisine: French
4.9 from twenty critiques
This French carrot salad recipe is easy and fresh! You’ll need carrots, olive oil, lemon, honey, cumin, parsley and chives. Chickpeas are optional but recommended. Recipe yields four servings.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- two tablespoon s finely snipped chives or chopped green onion
- two tablespoon s finely chopped fresh parsley
- Optional: 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoon s added-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon s lemon juice
- two teaspoon s honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- teaspoon ground cumin
- teaspoon fine sea salt
- To prepare the carrots: You can grate them on the huge holes of a box grater, or use brief strokes with a julienne peeler, or procedure them in a foods processor fitted with a grating attachment. You’ll finish up with about 3 cups grated carrots.
- Location the carrots in a medium serving bowl. Include the chives, parsley and optional chickpeas to the bowl.
- To make the dressing, whisk all of the components collectively in a modest bowl until totally blended.
- Pour the dressing above the carrot mixture and stir till the mixture is evenly coated in dressing. For greatest taste, allow the salad to marinate for twenty minutes before serving. Toss once more before serving. This salad keeps well in the fridge, covered, for about 4 days.
Recipe inspired by French Marketplace in Kansas City.
Make it vegan: Substitute maple syrup for the honey.